Once you approve your invoice, you’re greeted with a new set of tools that you can use to edit the invoice after its creation.
- Invoice description: This gives a summary of the invoice number and the customer it is for.
2. Enter payment: If you get paid for the invoice, you can enter the payment by clicking this button. If the payment covers more than one outstanding invoice for the customer, you have the option of selecting multiple invoices to which the payment should be applied. Once the payment is entered, the invoice will show up as ‘Paid’ on the invoices page.
3. Invoice state: This shows the current state of the invoice, indicating whether it has been paid, and how long until it is due.
4. Sent status: This indicates whether or not the invoice has been sent to a customer or not. If you send the invoice via Billy, it will automatically be marked as sent. If you print a PDF copy, you’ll need to manually mark it as sent by clicking the ‘Send’ button (see 7. below).
5. Timeline: The timeline shows the history of events related to this invoice. For example, it will show when the invoice was created, when it was modified, and any comments that users have made along the way.
6. Notifications: Billy wants to make sure that your invoices are as complete as possible. Sometimes if you don’t have all of the relevant information on your invoice, Billy will suggest that you add more information. Click the link in the box to add the suggested information.
7. Send button: The send button gives you three options which will be discussed below:
a. Send as email: Selecting this option will bring up a dialogue box through which you can send the invoice via email to your client from Billy. You can modify the email recipient, subject line and message from this window. The email will include a PDF attachment of the invoice, in addition to a link to the Billy Customer Portal.
b. Print/Save as PDF: Selecting this option will generate a popup in your browser with a PDF of the invoice. You can print this directly from your browser or save it for offline viewing. You should be sure to disable the popup blocker in your browser before doing this.
c. Mark as sent: If you want to make the invoice as sent, you can select this option.
8. Invoice preview: This is a preview of your invoice. Don’t worry, your logo won’t have the Billy logo emblazoned across the top, it will have your logo.
9. More: The ‘More’ button has several options, each of which is described below.
a. Print/Save as PDF: Selecting this option will generate a popup in your browser with a PDF of the invoice. You can print this directly from your browser or save it for offline viewing. You should be sure to disable the popup blocker in your browser before doing this.
b. Print packing list: Selecting this option will generate a popup in your browser with a PDF of a packing list automatically generated by Billy based on the invoice. You should be sure to disable the popup blocker in your browser before doing this.
c. Show in customer portal: Selecting this option allows you to preview the invoice in Billy’s Customer portal. The custom portal is a customer-facing site that allows your customers to view all of their outstanding invoices sent by you.
d. Edit: Select this option to edit the invoice.
e. Create credit note: Selecting this optional allows you to create a credit note for the corresponding invoice, which can be sent to customers as confirmation of a refund or return.
f. Void: This voids the invoice in your account system.
g. Duplicate: If you need to create an invoice that is similar to the one you are currently viewing, this button allows you to create another invoice with exactly the same properties as the current invoice.
10. Billing info: This is where your billing info will show up on the invoice.