So you are getting started with Billy. You've completed all the set up and you're ready for your first invoice? Well let's get started.
- Go to the Invoices home page
- Some quick notes about the Invoices home page.
a. See the 5 sections below? They are actually filters. When your system starts to build up a lot of invoices you can just click on them to narrow down your search. They are in order: invoices (all), drafts, overdue invoices, unpaid invoices, paid invoices.
b. See the grey search box? If you know the name of the company or other information you can filter more directly.
c. To alter the columns displaying on this screen check out this tutorial: https://support.billyapp.com/settings/update-columns-displaying-in-home-screens
TO CREATE AN INVOICE
- Click on the green "Create Invoice" button in the top right hand corner
Table on top left
- Select Customer: click the downward pointing chevron ˅
a. If customer has already been imported or created in the system, select from the alphabetized list in pull down menu.
b. If the customer is new, click "+ Create new" (create contact process)
- Contact Person:
a. Contact person is optional, note: choosing a company does not automatically select the Contact person created with the customer listing.
b. Click the downward pointing chevron ˅ to see the list of contacts associated with this company. If they are not there click "+ Create new" (create contact)
c. For the system to send an invoice there needs to be an email address associated with that name (at least the beginning of that address should be showing. )
- Message: optional
Table on the top right
- Invoice number:
a. If set to "Sequential" (in Settings > App Settings) the system will assign the next number in the sequence. [Note: this is the Billy preference.]
b. If set to "Manual input" (in Settings > App Settings) enter an invoice number
a. System will assign today's date
b. To change either type in the new date or click the calendar icon at the right and select the date
- Due Date
a. If the customer has its own default that will display, otherwise system default displays.
b. On setup the default is "Net 30" (Settings > App Settings > Default payment terms).
b. Other options: On receipt, Net 15, Net 30, Net 60, Net 90, Net (custom # of days, End of month, Custom date (specific calendar date), none.
a. If products have already been imported or created in the system, select from them from the alphabetized pull down menu.
b. If the customer is new (not in the system), click "+ Create new" (create new product process)
a. Entirely optional
b. If description was set in product it will automatically appear; this information can easily be over-written if needed
a. Displays default tax rate
b. Click the downward pointing chevron ˅ to select another tax rate
c. To create a new tax rate, click "+ Create new"
- Quantity: can refer to either
a. # of physical products
b. # of hours in an hourly rate
- % (percent sign): click here to apply line item discounts (see screenshot below)
a. 1st field describes why the money is being taken off
b. Last field can be left at % or changed to USD
c. Middle field is the percent rate or the total dollar discount
d. Note: To apply a discount on the entire invoice create a line item at the end and be sure the amount entered has a negative sign (-)
- + Add line: click here to add another line item to the invoice.
a. It can be additional products or services.
b. It can be an invoice level discount.
c. It can be additional fees (processing, shipping, late, etc.)
- Attach PDF or image: attach a file or an image. Example: if the image function in the line item is too small attach a larger image here
- Currency: When working in foreign currencies this should be set before you start filling out the line items.
a. In the product set up if there are prices listed under multiple currencies, the system will apply the correct one
b. If there is not a regular price set up in the currency, negotiate how much will be charged with your customer in advance. The invoice does not trigger the foreign exchange module and prices will not automatically be recalculated in the new currency if a change in currency is made.
- Prices are: this tells the system if the prices listed in the line items already have the tax rate included in the amount.
Line item discount image
- Payment methods: listing of all the payment methods that have been set up in Settings > Payment methods and have been checked "Enabled as default on new invoices"
a. If you don't see ones you expect to see click on the edit icon (pencil and paper)
b. All the methods that are currently set up will appear. i) if the the method wanted is listed but there's no check mark, check the box ii) If the method wanted is not listed click the grey "Add payment method" button and add it. (create payment method process)
- Template: if more than one template has been set up in Settings > Templates and you don't want to use the default template, use the box to select a different template
1. "Approve": tells system that the invoice was been finalized
2. "Save as draft": tells system that this invoice still needs additional work before it's ready
3. "More ˅": whenever this button is seen it indicates that there are more actions available below; usually multiple actions
Click "Approve" button and your invoice is completed.
- A screenshot of the invoice will appear and the "Send" button will display
- You can choose betwen
1. Send as email: the email will contain a link to the Customer Portal; a PDF file of the invoice will also be sent if "Link to customer portal and email attachment" has been selected in Settings > App Settings > Invoice Section > "Attachment delivery mode"
2. Print / Save as a PDF: for your records, send to a customer in a longer email. etc.
3. Mark it as sent