Sometimes users want to bulk import transactions into Billy. This is the way to accomplish that task.
Step 1: Create Bank Account
First you have to create the bank account: (if this is completed skip to Step Two: Data Migration )
Head on over to Accounting > Chart of Accounts > Create Account > Create Bank Account
- For Checking/savings accounts select the account type: Bank and Liquid assets
- For Credit cards select Account Type: Credit cards
Make sure you fill in every field, including Description and Account number.
You account numbers should be the last 4 of the bank or credit card you are adding.
Step 2: Data Migration
Export the data from the source account as a CSV file
Clean up the data. Make sure the CSV file has at least these headings:
- Date [use this format MM/DD/YY]
- Description [remove any single (') or double quotes (") ]
- Amount [use this format XXXX,XX - format as number, not currency - removed any symbol ($, €, etc.) or commas (,) ]
Note: there is an issue with DD/MM/YYYY dates importing into the system. Although Billy was 'born' in Europe, it was a country that uses MM/DD/YYYY. The issue is currently being worked. In the meantime it is easy to change the date column in your CSV file to the needed format.
- Click on Bank Accounts in the left navigation.
- If there are multiple accounts, select the account needed from the pull down menu at the top left of the screen.
- Click on Reconcile > Upload statement
Billy recommends testing the process with just a couple of lines of data to confirm the format is correct, before attempting a major upload.